Gunas that matters during time of analyzing astrology for marriage:
1. Nadi refers to the aspects of health and reproduction. Individuals of similar nadi must not marry. If this is not ensured, the children of the said couple will have physical and mental troubles.
2. Bhakoot matches the 12 zodiac signs as per the nature of these signs. Marriages are approved between compatible zodiac signs.
3. Gana or qualities match the propensities or qualities of the individuals based on classifying individuals as endowed with the qualities of gods, humans and demons. The coupling of the same Guna is the best match.
4. Maitri ascertains the ability of the couple to have a compatible relationship in the family life.
5. Yoni or the sexual compatibility examines the physical or sexual compatibility of the individuals coming together in marriage.
6. Taara or the constellation matches the horoscopes based on the nakshatra or the star of the individuals. This will indicate the total lifespan and the possibility of widowhood.
7. Vasya considers the characteristics of the individuals and ascertains who will dominate the relationship.
8. Varna considers the propensities of the marrying individuals based on the four categories of people namely Brahmin, Kshatriya, Vaishya and Shudra.